They may not be the first things you think of when you hear the word sustainability, but diversity and inclusion play a substantial role in multicultural initiatives to protect the environment. More than mere programs or policies, diversity and inclusion can be used as stabilizing agents and practical tools that build culture into global development processes. Organizations that pursue diversity and inclusion understand it is the only path to a truly sustainable future.
Why Are Diversity and Inclusion Important for Sustainability?
A key feature of sustainability is including diverse communities and the unique voices they represent and support. To realize a better world, enterprises must engage diverse peoples outside their niche. Doing so helps:
- Bridge gaps.
- Broaden positive influence and reach.
- Bring in new strategies and perspectives.
What does integrating diversity in sustainability look like?
- It values strength in diverse voices. The more diverse the stakeholders, the stronger the outcomes.
- Collaboration is enriched by a diverse range of opinions and approaches.
- The benefits of sustainable actions are more equally enjoyed by the communities they impact.
As they work to make a sustainable difference in their supply chains, communities, partners, and employees, organizations must place diversity and inclusion front and center. Today, businesses big and small are reimagining their approach to sustainability to meet the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Many have become Certified B Corporations as a way to contribute and build an inclusive and diverse future.
Zero Waste in Manufacturing
Zero waste means no waste, ever. It’s a goal that’s ethical and visionary, but is it actually sustainable? Embracing the principle of zero waste in sustainability goals:
- Reduces climate impact and minimizes pollution.
- Conserves natural resources.
- Promotes social equity.
- Supports a circular economy.
- Creates jobs.
While true zero waste might not currently be achievable, manufacturers who take a zero-waste approach operate at peak efficiency, reusing and recycling waste products instead of sending them to landfills. This form of sustainability is finding traction in many sectors, including the automotive industry, allowing vehicle manufacturers to create long-term value while supporting social responsibility initiatives.
Where Zero Waste, Diversity, and Inclusion Converge
Zero waste and circular economy-minded companies are beneficial for the environment and the communities where they operate. For manufacturers, sustainability targets often include optimizing production processes and supplied materials. But a diverse and inclusive workplace can also support a company’s positive environmental impact while helping to:
- Build better strategies. Enterprises whose workforces reflect the diversity of the communities they’re located in can better understand the environmental impact of their operations. That leads to greater trust and better business strategies.
- Increased innovation. Reimagining supply chains and product design calls for bold action. Diverse teams are shown to be 20 percent more innovative and 35 percent more likely to outperform undiversified ones.
- Ensure equity. When everyone has access to the same opportunities and treatment, the organization’s social impact is much higher.
- Improve decision-making. When leadership becomes educated on unconscious bias and privilege, it’s much more likely to make decisions that are good for everyone.
Sustainable Steps to a Better Future
Diversity and inclusion are tremendous assets to any company’s sustainability efforts. They improve productivity and efficiency, support better decision-making, and make it easier to adopt structural and operational changes that benefit people, the planet, and their bottom line. Companies that see diversity and inclusion as great opportunities for achieving sustainability goals are doing their part in creating a more just environment where waste generation and global footprints are reduced.
UBQ Materials supports manufacturers who want to significantly contribute to an environment where diversity, inclusiveness, and sustainability thrive. If you are a manufacturer, brand owner, municipal authority, or individual, you can share our vision by:
- Incorporating UBQ™ material into your current manufacturing process, becoming a force in accelerating the drive towards a circular economy.
- Working with UBQ to unlock the value in waste, turning it into a local resource that supports environmental protection and economic development. Benefits include reduced emissions, increased health and wellbeing, and protection of finite resources.
- Demanding and buying products made with UBQ™. What individual consumers choose to spend their money on can have a huge impact on how quickly manufacturers and companies adopt sustainability practices.
Building a better world through diversity and inclusion can help accelerate real positive change and help protect the planet for generations to come. UBQ is proud to play a vital role in moving sustainability, diversity and inclusion forward.