You walk through the grocery store, shopping list in hand: eggs, milk, cheese, granola bars, apples, cucumber, chicken, brown rice. How do you select the product you want with so many options available? Well, all of the information a consumer needs is available on the label – nutrition information, country of origin, certifications (organic, Hallal, Kosher, vegan, gluten free, etc.). Based on this information, the consumer can make an informed choice that matches their needs.
Whether at the grocery store, car dealership, hardware store, or anywhere else, consumers have motivations driving their purchasing decisions. Whether driven by cost, health considerations, country of origin, whether a product is fair trade or organic, these factors help consumers decide.
However, when it comes to the sustainability of products, consumers have little information to make conscious purchasing choices. Many products pose as sustainable, featuring natural or green imagery on packaging, but, this tells us little about a product’s carbon footprint or wider environmental impact.
What Are Sustainable Labels?
Sustainable labelling provides information about the environmental impact of a product through labels or other forms of communication. This can include information about:
• The product’s climate footprint
• The materials used to make the product
• How the product was produced
• How the product can be reused or recycled.
Sustainable labelling helps consumers make more informed decisions about the products they buy and encourages companies to produce products that protect the environment.
Sustainability labels are a beneficial tool for both consumers and manufacturers and can help drive demand for more environmentally friendly products, fueling positive change across industries.
The ‘Made With UBQ™’ Mark
The ‘Made With UBQ™’ mark on products stands for responsible manufacturing. UBQ Materials has made it easy for manufacturers to communicate their sustainable manufacturing and climate-positive material choices to consumers.
The ‘Made With UBQ™’ mark indicates that a product has replaced a percentage of oil-based resins with UBQ™, a biobased thermoplastic made entirely from waste, including organics and unrecyclable materials.
For every ton of UBQ™ used in these products:
• 1.3 tons of waste are diverted from landfill and incinerators
• Up to 11.7 tons of CO2eq emissions (GWP20) are prevented
Consumers can use the ‘Made with UBQ™’ mark to identify and choose products that are made with a climate-positive material, supporting companies that are fighting climate change.
By substituting oil-based plastics with UBQ™, these products are:
• Preventing greenhouse gas emissions
• Diverting waste from landfills and incinerators
• Protecting finite natural resources
Overall, Made With UBQ™ is a symbol of sustainability and environmental responsibility, representing a company’s commitment to reducing reliance on fossil fuels and advancing a circular economy in which waste is transformed into a valuable material. By choosing products that are made with UBQ™, consumers are choosing a brighter future for generations to come.
UBQ’s Commitment to Climate Action
UBQ™ demonstrates its commitment to the environment through multiple affiliations and certifications. To assure the highest standards, the UBQ™ material has been tested and certified by official third-party validators:
• UL 2809 acknowledges UBQ™ contains 100% recycled content and is fully recyclable at the end of life.
• ISO 9001 indicates the Quality Management System is appropriate and effective and demonstrates continuous improvement that ensures customers benefit from receiving company products and services.
• USDA certifies that most of the content within the material is bio-based, reducing reliance on petroleum, and increasing use of renewable sources.
Available in the Market
Sustainability and accessibility can go hand in hand, and UBQ™ is proving it across industries.
Products made with UBQ™ are being used in construction, automotive, food and beverage, logistics, and retail by leading brands in multiple applications such as:
• McDonald’s food trays
• Rimax’s pet line
• Mainetti’s garment hangers
• Mercedes-Benz automotive parts
• Plastics App 3D printing filaments
• PepsiCo’s POS displays and shipping pallets
• ABinBev secondary packaging solutions
Are you ready to start changing the way we consume?
UBQ is passionate about making sustainability initiatives as simple as possible. By choosing products with the ‘Made With UBQ™’ mark, everyone can make a difference.