1. What does the Nobel Prize in Chemistry mean to you?
The Prize is (should be viewed by all recipients) as a call to public service. It represents not just an opportunity but an obligation to advocate for science and for social good.
2. What do you think is the biggest challenge we are facing today?
3. How can Chemistry help restore our planet?
Chemistry can contribute technologies for mitigation and even remediation of the effects of global warming. Chemists must advocate for the political action required to implement these technologies.
4. As a distinguished chemist, what advice/message would you give to people that do not have the same scientific background?
Trust the consensus view of scientific experts.
5. Were you ever skeptical about UBQ material? If so, when and how did this change?
I understood the basis for the UBQ process when it was explained to me at the outset and I never doubted the validity or the values.